- Sandy Beck
- Education Director
- The Wild
"Bird-watching intrigues kids," Tallahassee Democrat, March 24, 2007
"Wild birds and wide eyes," Tallahassee Democrat, December 13, 2006.
- Wildlife Matters, Quarterly
newsletter of the St. Francis Wildlife Association. Writer and
editor, 1989 - Present.
- Tallahassee Democrat Chronicle, Eastside and Northeast, monthly column, Nature Notes
- New Leaf News, bi-monthly column, 2003-present.
Florida Wildlife Magazine, May/June 2008, "Oh Possum."
Florida Wildlife Magazine, March/April 2008, "Bald eagle guardian angels."
Florida Invaders (South Florida edition), February 17, 2008. An eight-page pull-out supplement written for the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission for the Miami Herald and Sun Sentinel.
Florida Wildlife Magazine, July/August 2007, "Answering the call of the wild."
Florida Wildlife Magazine, May/June 2007, "In defense of vultures" and "Protecting Florida from invaders."
Florida Invaders (Central Florida edition), July 2007. An eight-page supplement written for the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission for the Orlando Sentinel.
- "Kids connect with nature through bird watching," Tallahassee Democrat, April 11, 2007
Tallahassee Democrat, Opinion section
"Rattlesnake tradition needs to change," January 25, 2010
"Controlling cats isn't just for the birds," November 20, 2008
Tallahassee Democrat, Home and Garden section. Selected articles below:
- "Owls above us," 2/24/05:
"Armored insect eater," 6/16/05.
"We can learn
to live with wildife. Birds
stage a coo d'état during nesting season," April15, 2005
can teach us to coexist peacefully with nature," My
- Tallahassee Democrat, environmental column, 1996 - 1999. Selected columns below:
- "Find a friend for life at
the Animal Shelter," 11/3/98
"Joe Budd wormed its way into kids' hearts,"
- "Would-be animal rescuers must be cautious,"
a friend for life at the Animal Shelter," 11/3/98
are curious, smart and misunderstood," 9/9/96
- Florida Wildlife Rehabilitation Quarterly, "Toward a Rebirth of Wonder in Two Egg,
Florida" (poem), Fall 1993.
- The Skimmer, Florida
Game & Fresh Water Fish Commission, "From Awareness
to Action" (article), Spring 1993.
- Florida Wildlife Magazine, "Windows on a Wild Soul" (article),
- Journeys Magazine, "Paddling the Wakulla" (poem), Spring
- Florida Wildlife Rehabilitators Association,
"Night is Black Saucer Eyes"
(poem), Florida Spring 1993.
- Journeys Magazine,
"Windows on a Wild Soul" (essay), Fall 1992.
- Wildlife Rehabilitation Today, "Conserving Wildlife, an Interdisciplinary Middle
School Curriculum" (article), April 1992.
- Journeys Magazine,"All Wildlife is In Danger, Not Just the En-dangered"
(article), Spring 1992.
- Journeys Magazine,
"Life Expectancy" and "Turning Darkness Into Light"
(poems), Spring 1992.
- Florida Advisory Council on Environmental
Education, "Conserving Florida Wildlife, an Interdisciplinary
Middle School Curriculum Guide," grant -funded publication,
- Tallahassee Democrat, "Saving the Earth begins in our backyards,"
(My View), June 3, 1991.
- Successful Practices: Whole Language
Approaches to Teaching in Florida Classrooms, Florida
Project at FSU, Florida Department
of Education,"Going Wild With Writing," (article),
- Writing Sparks the Power to Learn, Leon County Schools, "Integrating Language
Fluency," (article) 1989.
- Magic Markings, Florida
Writing Project at FSU,"Middle Schools Take a Walk on the
Wild Side" (article), May 1989.
- Florida Game and Fish, Florida Wildlife Federation,"Wild Poetry"
(article), September 1989.
- Big Bend Sierra Club Newsletter, "On the Wild Side" (article)
, July 1989.
- Selected Poems, 1989
- WEB SITES
- St. Francis Wildlife Association:
- The Wild Classroom: http://www.wildclassroom.net
- Tallahassee Wildlife Festival: http://www.tallahasseewildlifefestival.com
- The Wild Classroom